I Bought a pair of Hella sharptones from some guy in a parking lot. Unlike the entirety of the Subaru community I actually wired these ones up and use them. They work well and are way louder than the stock old Corolla ones. I did use the relay that was included with the horns which meant a whole bunch of wiring needed to be done. I mounted the horns were they could be seen behind the grill, I had to drill holes in order to mount them were I did. I grounded the horns on the mounting nuts, because I chose to use the relay I had to run a wire from the relay to a 15amp fuse and then directly to the positive on the battery. Then I had to split the power from the relay to both the horns and connect the original wiring plug to the relay. Surprisingly everything worked first try and they’re still working to this day. They look pretty cool but are hard to spot unless you are looking in line with the grill. I took a few videos so you can listen to the before and after.
Mud flaps that is. I took the rear windscreen louvre and mud flaps off from old bluey and put them on the XX. I later bought and installed some rear quarter window louvres from eBay. Fitment of the rear windscreen louvre was good, not so good for the mud flaps or quarter window louvres. The mud flaps weren’t a big issue as they are rubber so I just drilled some new holes through them. Although it was a bit of a pain because I had to take of the wheel in order to properly fit them. As for the rear quarter window louvres, they are not flush with any of the corners or sides and I had to cut off the entire bottom tab just to get them to fit. They have a weird symbol in the middle were the toyota sticker usually goes on the original ones. All in all I would not recommend getting the eBay spec rear quarter window louvres.
Got a pair of clear lower indicators and clear side indicators form eBay. Fitment was good for bot of them, they came from Thailand so I was expecting worse. They have orange globes which aren’t very bright when they flash during the day, might change them to stronger globes eventually. Unfortunately I tightened the screw on the left side indicator too much and cracked the lense a bit, so just be careful if you choose to do this as well. Looks way better in my opinion.
There was a small hole in the muffler when I got the Ke70, I then figured out how to do a key banger…. That discovery resulted in a slightly larger hole… Luckily old bluey had a healthy muffler for a quick fix.
I bought this steering wheel when I had the red KE from some dude who was from the east side. He said he had it on his 180sx drift car, so it already had some fully hektic JDM influence embedded in it. I bought a HKB boss kit and Sparco quick release from eBay to suit the race car path I was heading on (the race car thing is a joke btw). The boss kit is good quality and the quick release is pretty good but has a tiny bit of play which doesn’t really bother me. I measured the stock distance from the dash, distance with just the boss kit and distance with boss kit and the quick release. Its now a massive reach for the indicator but I’ve gotten used to it. The seating position is now a lot more comfortable as I sit all the way back with the seat leaned back a bit and now I no longer have to reach for the steering wheel.
Because a stock KE70 is basically a very serious race car, the first mod that had to be installed was of course a fire extinguisher. Yeah nah I went to Supercheap to get parts for a service and the fire extinguishers were on sale so I got two. Probably the most useless and at the same time the most useful mod I’ve ever done. I’m happy were its mounted as its pretty hidden and easily accessible. Easily installed, drill two holes wherever you want to mount it and two nuts and bolts and you’re done.
Okay so obviously i’m not going to keep either of my cars stock. Unfortunately though I don’t have the time or money to do some real mods right now, so I have to settle for little cheap mods for the time being. Plans for the Celica XX include: Coilovers (The suspension needs replacing anyway), a set of hard to get 15″ SSR Starsharks with black and polished face and black lip, hatch swapped as its rusty, good sound system (already put in a single din Sony head unit), Full exhaust system (current exhaust has a hole somewhere) and just a good clean and slowly replacing worn out parts. Will probably get into some engine mods some time in the future. For the KE70 XX mods in order of importance include: Maunual conversion to a k50 (yes its an auto and i’m hating it), A set of Advan A3A or A3D in 13×8 and 13×9 with black lip and black face (I know these are wide as fuck but i’m after that aggressive look), Fender arches (to fit the wheels), Front coilovers and rear stiffer shocks and lower springs, Aircon transplant, Strut brace, Full zorst for the 4k, some window tint, Front lip (I don’t like the AJP’s lip), boot lip (like the spirit lip), probably some more bracing, In the future an engine swap (haven’t really decided just yet but recently been leaning more towards SR20) and I haven’t really done a lot of research into steering arms ae86 suspension/steering swaps (probably don’t want to swap for s13 parts because people say they’re sloppy) stuff like that but i’m sure ill get into it. Thats what I don’t have right now for the KE but I have stuff sitting in my room waiting to go on like: 2-way alarm, central locking, sound system (speakers, sub and amp), some cool missile switches, 6″ light bars that i’m going to try and make concealed by pop up “fog light” covers, reverse camera, double din head unit and just some LED’s for license plate light, interior light and dash lights. will update the blog as I go on. For now here are some photos of some inspiration and things that i’m after.